Saturday, October 23, 2010

When Life Takes You Away........











It is no secret that every one's life is governed by outside influences and demands. Each of us has activities we passionately pursue without requiring outside motivation or direction. I would venture to say that each of us struggles to find a balance in our lives of "obligations"... and "preferences".

In short... life often has a habit of "getting in the way" in our individual pursuit of our art making and that situation in my own case is akin to feeling a need to go to the bathroom badly... but with no place readily in sight to do so. Painting for "Me" is a form of release... and not unlike going to the bathroom... leaves me relieved and less anxious about life. Strange....eh???

Being unable to complete the demo begun at the Willowdale Artist Group evening was excruciating. It beckoned to me from the easel at every coming and going from the studio. But a trip eastward to properly celebrate Allison's 31st birthday and to meet with my dentist in Brockville for a wisdom tooth extraction took precedent over any whim or desire to paint.

We joyously, and fittingly celebrated Allison's special day with a fine evening of catch up and fine food at Chez Piggy's in Kingston... very appropriate because Allison's alter ego from childhood is MS Pig. And yes... I did show up at the tusk removal party at Peter Culp's Boardwalk Dentistry... and came away shy one molar. The Tooth Faery didn't even bother showing up to reward my bravery. I did get to pick an "adult" gift from Peter's "Tickle Trunk" for well-behaved adult clients! I chose an oven mitt that says:" Barbecue sauce covers a lot of mistakes". That will go to my son Andrew, Allison's "Bro" for his 29Th Birthday Bundle from Dad and Deb.

The "hole" has given me quite a bit of discomfort since Tuesday... so painting was not on my mind. But finally... I stepped up the easel yesterday and pushed forward... slowly at first.. but finally found "The Flow"... and the rest is history. Mission accomplished! I did indeed find the necessary bushes and cover to relieve my Self... artistically!

My apologies to the Willowdale members for the delay in delivering "the package. But I will confess that the hiatus did allow time that eventually worked to my benefit in completing the piece. I (bravely decided... with Deb's suggestion) to use my palette knife to "texturize" the bridge elements in the foreground... creating weight and strong visual contrast to the more even brushwork in the middle and background. I used the knife also to "edge" the vertical dead spruce with strong light. I think that these additional effects do enhance the overall effect of the painting. Just a reminder. The structure that I mentioned early was the basis for being able to go back to the piece after a long delay. It was easier to get back on board because the structure was there. Enough said!

Today's three jpegs record the process from the final studio 30x24 inch version at the top, followed by the 10x8 inch plein air sketch ... the demo lay in third... to a poorly photographed finished 30x24 inch studio canvas at the bottom. (I had trouble deleting this one)

Hope that the finished painting gives everyone insight into what I had striven to lay in originally. One can readily see the additional new directions that came out of the initial start . Nothing is in stone using oils. Change can occur with a few new brave strokes... or a swipe of the knife. "Painting With Courage and Conviction" was the theme for my presentation. I feel that this canvas fills the bill adequately!








Good Painting...to All!

12 comments:

  1. Bruce, each of these pieces has it's own merits and I am hard pressed to say which I like best! Glad you survived the tooth removal (not fun!) and that you have "relieved" yourself so wonderfully! I see the growth and change of thought as you progressed to the final large painting and you have not lost any enthusiasm or spirit by doing this subject three times. I find it hard to do this. I make sketches and work out composition and basic colour themes but I I lose interest if I rework the idea too often. Here you have shown what is possible with dedication to your theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life does indeed throw 'curves' and obligations; but then we chose the path!

    Painting with courage and conviction is so true and I've just realized the paintings I've completed that "I like" were painted in just such manner.

    Really enjoy the stories in your blog, and the helpful 'hints' which I try to use in my daily pursuit of 'art'.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Karen!... Good to hear from "You"!

    Congratulations on your award! Well deserved - I fully expected that outcome... it is a beautiful portrait in all respects!

    Strange... how we work towards the same destination really.. but our paths and process can remain totally our own decision.

    My repetitive interest... focus and extension are my way ... of translating outdoor hunter/gatherer materials into impressionistic fuller studio works is purely a personal interest and choice. You are right too. Each has its own merits... and often the primary study is more pleasing... even in the face of all of the other "playing".

    It pleases "Me" that "You" as a viewer and consumate artist offer the term "dedication". That sure beats the phrase "obsessive compulsive"!HAHA!!

    Thank "You"... for taking the time to visit and encourage! "I" so value your opinions!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank "You" Ruby... for your visit and for your very valid comments and ideas!

    Painting is all about choices... and often those choices do in fact lead us no where... or to less favourable results than were hoped for. However... it is indeed the entire journey that counts... not one station... or the destination! So play away... and enjoy your Time is the success in a life well-lived!

    I am very happy that my postings interest "You" ... and in whatever small way encourage and aid "You" in the making of your own art! Sharing my ideas... my hopes... my enthusiasm and my passion for making art are the paramount purpose/goal for my keeping this blog running! Your enthusiastic participation enables "Me" to continue for those reasons!

    Good painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beauty Bruce almost finished in my old stomping grounds of Willowdale no less!
    It reminds me so much of the many like spots I canoed in the Paudash Lake area oh so many moons ago. Great colour and light in this piece.

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lovely fresh looking plein air painting is my favourite Bruce, to me it depicts those wild places that you can come across in nature. Nature is often spontaneous and not as tidy as we would like it to be. We as artists can remove trees and add interesting an interesting sky and water too. I wonder how long the plein air painting took you. I have spent many hours on my latest painting and it is still changing, I do wonder if it was a better painting before I started to change it. I changed it originally because it looked almost exactly like another painting I had done before, I couldn't work out why that had happened, my imagination seemed to keep producing the same old image! I am wondering if you have ever felt a pull towards painting a scene again and again too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jeffrey!... Lives... and experiences really do strangely intersect at various times don't they?

    Paudash Lake is a memorable place in my past as well..."many moons ago"! On to the next adventure... right Jeffrey?

    Thanks for the encouraging compliments... much appreciated!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi again Caroline!... Great points and observations mentioned... thank "You" for sharing your ideas!

    The plein air piece remains my favourite of the versions as well. It was finished quickly within 45 minutes and displays a complete freshness and spontaneous reaction to that outside experience.

    This point underscores the value of painting outdoors. All of one's senses are on fire... and involved in the process. Studio pieces can be "hit or miss" in achieving that freshness in my own experience. Often all that need be said... was said the first time!

    We all have favourite haunts that we enjoy revisiting... or favourite compositional elements that we enjoy using like the "z" water device used in this last post.

    Paint what you love... and you'll love what you paint. That's my own personal mantra. Each painting is a lesson to enable the next.

    Good painting!Thanks for visiting and commenting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bruce,

    Your painting process is wonderful. I love seeing the stages your painting goes through. Even if life does get in your way at times, you still produce amazing work.

    All the best to you.
    Hope you are feeling better after the nasty visit to the dentist.

    Happy painting to you.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there Joan!... Thanks for your encouragement!

    I think we both both deal with those intrusions and responsibilities in much the same fashion. Family is primary. After that... we both really "bite the bullet" regularly to keep our noses to the grind stone with our art.

    Your work always gives off a warmth that is soothing and interesting at the same time!

    Thanks for visiting Joan! My tooth is still on the achy side but not too bothersome really. Just life (and aging) once again getting in the way... a bit(e)!HAHA!!

    Good painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great painting Bruce and thank you for providing the process pics as well. I hope your tooth is doing better, its never pleasing to paint with pain. It's been a while since i've visited your blog and apologize for the absence, its always a pleasure reading your blog and seeing your beautiful paintings. Keep on trucking Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there Jonathan... Good to hear from "You" again!

    No need to apologize for "the absence"... attendance is dependent upon time available in one's own personal life and painting schedule. "C'est la vie"... as the French so aptly put it!

    Likewise Jonathan... visits to your wonderful and instructional site are always fruitful and enjoyable. You are very talented and giving... in sharing your process.

    Good luck with the on line instruction project... sounds exciting!

    Look forward to more sharing between us... although I'll pass on the pastry subjects at this end. Everything goes right to the waistline at this time of life! HAHA!! Looks delectable... the way that you have painted it!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete