Thursday, May 26, 2011

Displacing... Then Replacing Despair




How sad it makes me to see and read of the tragic events... here in Canada... in Manitoba and Quebec... in the US Mid-West and around the world everywhere. In my first thoughts... I feel helpless in my inability to reach out... given our own current financial precarious situation and time of economic uncertainty.


But then, I look "inside" at the countless blessings and gifts that I currently have in my own life... and those that have continuously dotted my journey. Generosity is something that I grew up with... not just monetary generosity... but spiritual generosity to be shared as well with those we encountered as a family. I realized too... that generosity is a two way street... that being able to receive generous gifts was equally as important as being able to give them. I came to realize as well... that this "two way" perspective embraced one of the basic laws of the Universe:


What goes around ... comes back around.


I watched the second last and final Oprah telecasts... and though I cannot claim to have been an Oprah fan... I was left aghast... and in tears viewing the powerful scene of the a seemingly endless line of lit candles held by male individuals from Morehouse College... all recipients of the generous opportunities to receive an education from Oprah's efforts and contributions. Over 64,000 individuals were directly educated worldwide by her programme of incentives to reduce poverty through educational support. My opinion of "Her"... is deeply changed. I come away in awe of her generosity and vision... and world-changing contributions.


"From a backwoods beginning in Tennessee... to this!" Not the Bravado in reference to her individual wealth per say... but more to the powerhouse potential for change... bec ause of the work of her empire of committed and loyal workers who have joined her in her Quest... and her journey to create a better world for impoverished others with a will to "do better"! There is no greater example in my lifetime to support my own belief in "The Power of One."


I was generously reared by loving parents of very modest and humble beginning... being always taught to believe iun my Self... and that "I" mattered... to "Them"... and to the World! I went out into the world to take that precious gift of Self Worth afforded me by them... with me to share it with others. I chose teaching as my vehicle to accomplish this end in my own way. I am proud to say that "I" have made a difference for a great many individuals with my own Light... in my own small corner. I continue to work towards this end through this blog. I reach out to those of you who care to listen and believe. "We" all need to believe... and to know and truly feel that "We"... matter! Each of "You"... matters to "Me"!


Art is the other gift that I have developed and used towards accomplishing this end... simply because Art, Music, Literature, Poetry and Dance are the social conduits for "connecting" to each other. They know no boundary or frontier... require no special language to understand and enjoy. Each of us can avail our Selves of them in out own unique right... and not be judged.


To quote one of my "Mentors" from my children's childhood years, Mr Fred Rogers:


"The world needs a sense of worth, and it will achieve it only by its people feeling that they are worthwhile."


Each day that we go about our separate journeys... we are afforded the unique opportunity... no our RESPONSIBILITY... to reach out to others generously sharing with them... our resources... our time... our good thoughts and our encouragement to strive for their best.


A Smile costs nothing! Neither does a good morning!... I love You!... Thank You! Can I help?... You are welcome to share mine! Get the picture? Simple gifts that cost nothing make the finest blessings... as unexpected.. and small as they may seem to "You"!


My painting offered this morning comes as a result of some "play"... as Mr Roger's referred to " a child's first work"... yesterday in my studio . Using a still life that I picked on my evening walk... acrylics... used in a wild n' crazy... unusual fashion for "Me" - the plein air oil painter! HAHA!! ... I created this bouquet for each of "You"... in gratitude for your many kind and encouraging words and visits to my world!



Life is complicated. Do your best! "You" are worthwhile! So is your Art! Be proud of it... and your Self!


Thank "You"...ALL!



Good Painting!... and Many Blessings!

14 comments:

  1. thankyou for the bouquet! i smiled as soon as i saw it - i think it's the pink i love, and the flamboyant petals - i can almost smell their scent. Blessing to you too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Rosie!... Good to hear from "You" again!

    I love apple blossums - they signify the "possibility" of rebirth and renewal for me. I too admire the flamboyance and fragility of their petals... and the strong scent that fills the morning and evening air.

    Blessings upon "You"... your family... and your Art!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce, such beautiful words and a moving post. I must come by more often to read your words. Lovely bouquet. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank "You" for visiting Susan... and for your kind and encouraging words!

    Sharing feelings... ideas and process in both our artistic and personal lives is a very powerful way not only to effect the lives of others... but as well to add joy and comfort to our own!

    The bouquet... along with the words convey my truest thoughts about creating art... and letting it shine upon the lives of others who share a common passion and journey... Hope and optimism. Beats despair! Thank you!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. a beautiful post and incredible painting! your words always get past the crap in my head and help diminish the cynicism. hope and optimism does most definitely beat despair! again an incredibly moving post and a most beautiful painting! happy weekend bruce and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings Suzaane!... Thank "You" for your uplifting and motivating words!

    "We".... "You" and "I" share so many commonalities in our lives and work!.. it defies comprehension or logic!

    The Universe need disciples to carry on work that encourages... enables... and empowers others to reach out and speak with their own fine and competent voices!

    I so enjoy our "connection" and "conversations" Suzanne. Your work... words and warmth as a person sparks my own vision and my life! Thank "You"!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan Roux sent me a link to your blog -- I am so glad that she did -- your words are my words as well -- I am so grateful to be an artist and to have my work touch people's lives -- Oprah has certainly touched everyone's lives in so many ways -- change -- our world needs the love of artists and art!

    Diane Leonard

    ReplyDelete
  8. What you have shared through words and your art has helped me more than you know. Wonderful painting, and I thank you.

    Have a great weekend.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. This painting is absolutely gorgeous and thank you for such a gift! You are a generous soul. Your words are uplifting and I appreciate them so much. My husband and I are active in various organizations that defend the rights of animals and humans around the globe and sometimes I am so distressed by the injustices to people and the environment that I want to give up and put my head in the sand...but that is no answer so I push on. People in the world like you make everything worth while:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Diane!... So glad to have "You" aboard! My thanks to Susan for her sharing!

    There are many like our Selves... who share the feelings expressed in my words. We speak with one voice... when we join together as we do here. Can you imagine if the world could dare to embrace and support each other without borders... political or religious differences?

    "Some say that I'm a dreamer... but I'm not the only one." (John Lennon)

    I believe fully in "The Power of One". Each of us has the ability to create harmony and peace within... and to by example... lead others to believe and to join in the process. Over time it can grow and bloom into a living peaceful force that one could never imagine!

    Change comes out of Faith and Belief... and takes time and sacrifice. The world does indeed "need the love of artists and our art."

    "Step by step, a path;
    stone by stone, a cathedral."

    -Phil Cousineau
    Stoking the Creative Fires

    Good painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello again Friend Joan!... It warms my heart to know that despite distance between... and having never met... we can BOTH say that we have helped each other to strive and become better people. This wonderful "happening" gives credibility to what can come out of reaching out... sharing and believing in one's own ability!

    "I" am proud to be a part of your striving Joan... as "You" should be equally proud of what you are accomplishing!

    Thank you for your encouragement and presence Joan! Both are much appreciated!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello... again Karen!... So glad to hear from "You" again... and to hear that you have "regrouped" and are once again "back-in-the-saddle"... confident... determined and with renewed purpose i your life and work.

    I have to say that "I" admire that fact about "You"... as much as your very special and exceptional artistic abilities.

    Courage and determination have to accompany artistic talent... to facilitate and encourage further growth.

    I look forward to more visits andconversations!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your beautiful still life is a shared gift to all of us readers... along with your inspiring thoughts.

    Thank you... You do make a difference ... What more can we ask of ourselves than to offer a positive outlook and encourage others to do THEIR best.

    Be well, Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Marian!... Thank "You" for your visity and your kind and uplifting words!

    This blogging circle of Friends is an example ... that kindness... sharing... and uplifting support can overcome the darkness that we all face in our individual lives.

    I always look forward to our conversations and sharing of ideas... process and support! The bouquet... is just my way of saying a big "Thank You"... to constants in my life... like "You"!!

    Paint well... and be well too Marian!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete