Monday, August 20, 2012

"When the Whipper-will Sang"

August 21st.... the day when my dear Mom was born remains for me a day to be celebrated fully... even though she has passed out of this life and is forever gone from it in the physical sense. However... "She" will never really be gone for as long as her children... grandchildren pay homage and give thanks for her countless gifts to their lives. She will be remembered always... by the now fully grown members of her cottage "Polly Wog Fleet, as they pass on their swimming skills and enjoyment to their own wee ones. "She" will forever be in my heart as I ply the familiar waters in and around these Islands... watch ruby throat hummingbirds' territorial antics... count fireflies and stars in the inky, sultry night air... or listen for the occasional  hoot owl's plaintive cry. She gave to me the knowledge and love of all of these things. She taught me to recognize and respect the rightful place of all living things in the Circle of Life.

My garden this year celebrates her in a very significant way. The garden has been an ongoing source of delight for the hundreds of visitors to Rockport throughout the entire summer. On more than one occasion, we have found several visitors right up and within the garden taking pictures. I wasn't at all upset at the "intrusion". I smiled each time to think that Mom would... and did share her own with so many visitors, even taking bouquets to shut ins and elderly friends. Flowers were her friends... and her gardens overflowed with her joy and satisfaction as she tended them faithfully.

In a loving tribute to her... I should like to share a few of the many "annuals" that I have created as a perennial tribute to her contributions to "Me" and my own family. Each and every August 21st... I add yet another "bloom" to mark the occasion. I offer these bouquets as well... to  Mothers amongst my Followers. Thank "You"... all ... for tending your own gardens as well!!

"I " will always love "You" Mom... ever remembering and giving thanks for those halcyon, still summer nights at The Narrows. That wistful,wonderful summer sound has disappeared... like you, but I shall always treasure those special nights with "You"... when the whipper-will sang! 


Love "You" Forever!
Bruce

 












10 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you, Mrs. Sherman! I know you are smiling with complete joy at these bouquets from your son. They are beautiful, as are his memories of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sherry!... For visiting and for your sentiments!

    My Mom had a wonderful and giving nature and BIG heart... just like you Sherry! Maybe that's what I see in you as a woman... Mother material!

    Being a good Mother is an art in itself!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Bruce,
    You are my first stop this morning. First and foremost your paintings are touched with the artist loving hand, and heart and are beautiful.Your tribute to your mom is lovely.
    I believe that your mom continues to be pleased and touched by your love for her.

    Bruce, your words, your art and sharing with all who come in contact with you is a constant tribute to your mom. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. And yes, happy birthday to Mrs. Sherman, who has blessed us with You.

    All the best to you
    Bruce Sherman and now I need another cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tribute to your mother, Bruce! I loved the paintings but the one with the chair was so nostalgic to me - as if she had placed that wrap and vase of flowers on the chair and walked away to do something else - so there was a sense of her being there and then gone. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Joan!... What a wonderful way to begin celebrating Mom's "anniversary!" Thank you for your precious words of understanding... and support!"I" am deeply and profoundly thankful for our friendship Joan! We share so many of the same passions and essential values... much more than just our common love for painting!

    I am off with my student /painting pal Robin to paint in Gananoque this morning. The air is crisp and cool... the sun is shining and the kit is loaded in the car awaiting Robin's arrival from Hill Island by boat.

    I do think that both of my parents would be proud of my work and my continued efforts to share what they provided for me ...with countless others!Thank you again Joan!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Rhonda!... Thanks ever so much for your kind and encouraging words!

    Love and remembrance somehow helps to fill the void caused by her leaving. Each flower... each bird and each summer sound... smell and gentle wisp of breeze causes these pleasant memories to drift back to "Me".

    I particularly love your phrase in reference to "Summer Reliquary." A reliquary was in one sense... a bejewelled and gem and coin filled box gifted by prominent and wealthy Renaissance parishoners to a church to aid in the continuance of its earthly good works:

    "There is a sense of her being there and then gone."

    The frame(box) around this painting symbolically encases the riches that my Mom offered "Me" for the continuance of my own journey. And they have surely done that... even now!

    Thank you for these deeply appreciated and insightful words. They would please my Mom... as they do "Me" Rhonda... Thank you!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bruce, I've just managed to find some time to have a bit of a 'catch-up' and enjoyed finding this beautiful collection. I think my favourite is the second one, with its soft delicacy.

    You must be very gratified that people are enjoying your garden, after all the hard work you put in earlier in the year.

    All the best,
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Keith!... It's certainly a busy time for everyone it seems! The end of summer seems to speed up activity for humans... animals and even insects. The garden is filled with evidence of increased activity!

    The second is my favourite as well. We have kept that one for ourselves... and it will soon be hanging in our living room!

    The garden continues to attract attention... but the heat really shortened the life of most of the lilies and more delicate larger blooms. It gave us real pleasure as well!

    Thanks for dropping by!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciated your post. it is a very beautiful tribute to your mother and the bouquets are splendid. I love the one with the chair.
    Bonne continuation et bonjour de France. Hélène

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonjour a toi Helene! Merci beaucoup pour prendre les temps a reponder!

    Cette peinture etait tres specialle pour moi.C'st parti pour une vie nouvelle avec nos amis speciales. C'est bien a moi!

    Salut!... a la prochaine...
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete